Pottery in White County
by Hazel W. Hayes
In so far as it goes, Mrs. Hayes' article is correct. There are some inaccuracies, however. The first potters in White County were the Davidson family of Mossy Creek, arriving here in 1821. Three generations of this family "threw clay." In addition, there were, over the years, at least 30 pottery shops on Mossy Creek between 1820 and 1920. This article was written before Chever's and Lanier's Face Jugs became known and popular, leading to the revival of the Folk Pottery Art and Craft in White County and North Georgia.