Who Put Roberts in Robertstown?
Charles Roberts was sent to the United States and White County to oversee his family's gold Mining interests. The Roberts' interests included both the Conley Mine and the Montgomery Bell Plantation and possibly other mines. He arrived in White County about 1884 and built his home in 1890.
Noting that the sale of water for hydraulic mining was always profitable and gold mining may or may not be profitable, Charles Roberts built the Roberts Ditch from the foot of Anne Ruby Falls to both the (later) Helen area and the Bean Creek Mining District. The Roberts Ditch extended to the hill above the Hardman House. He hydraulically mined the Bell Plantation and the England-South Platsburg uplands at one point. Others may have continued to mine those areas. He may have had mining interests in the Bean Creek Mining District.
He built and operated Roberts Store in (later) Robertstown, the largest commercial establishment in northern White County.
Highly interested in agricultural improvement he experimented with different crops in the Smith Creek Bottoms including several varieties of grains and vegetables and olive trees. He was the first successful viniculture owner in White County, growing several varieties of grapes. It is unknown if he sold his wine to the public.
Despite his early death, he had a major impact on northern White County